As an industry leader for the delivery of training courses for security guards in the province of Alberta, we at Alberta Guard training are sharing with you the latest COVID-19 updates focusing on industry and licensing news with regular updates. Please check back for updates as we intend to continue to be the trusted source for information for new and existing students in Alberta.
March 30, 2020
The Alberta Ministry of Justice has just released an important update regarding renewals of existing licences (see below).
Note that this does NOT currently affect individuals applying for new licences.
ATTENTION LICENSED SECURITY, INVESTIGATION AND LOCKSMITH COMPANIES
Due to the current health emergency, the Security Services and Investigators Program has been assessing service delivery and identifying measures that may be put in place to assist companies and individuals licensed under the Security Services and Investigators Act.
The contributions of the industry to the safety of Albertans in light of the CPOVID-19 pandemic are well understood. However, it is uncertain how long police services will be providing criminal record checks, registry offices and our office will remain open.
To assist the industry during this time, an Order in Council has been issued under section 52.1(3) of the Public Health Act, extending the expiry dates to allow businesses and individuals to continue to operate.
The expiry dates will be extended on all business and individual licenses expiring between March 9, 2020, and July 1, 2020, to allow the businesses and individuals to continue to operate.
- – This extension does not pertain to those businesses or individuals currently not licensed. New applications are currently be received and processed until further notice.
- – Those renewal applications already received by the Security Services and Investigators Program will continue to be processed until further notice. Expiry dates on issued renewal licenses will supersede the above-mentioned extension dates.
- – The expiry dates on temporary licenses will also be extended to July 1, 2020.
- – The terms and conditions of the current licenses will remain in force. This Order in no way expands the current authority of licensed businesses and individuals. All reporting obligations remain in place.
- – If certification to carry a baton expires, this extension does not apply and the individual must cease the use of this equipment immediately.
- – This does not apply to licensees with temporary foreign worker or student work permits. All government documents must be kept up to date with the Program office.
- – The end date for this extension is subject to change as the public health response changes. Licensees will be notified as changes come into force. If clarification is required, please contact the Security Services and Investigators Program at 1-877-462- 0791 or email@example.com. It is important to note that there are limitations to the authority of the Minister of Justice and Solicitor General to suspend the requirements of legislation under a public health emergency. As a result, this Order does not apply to new applications for licensing. Our office and the participating Alberta Registries offices will continue to process licenses while we are able.
The Security Services and Investigators Program will continue to monitor the impacts of service delivery changes on the industry and notify you should any further changes be implemented. In the event our offices are closed, staff will continue to monitor and respond to emails at firstname.lastname@example.org.
March 26, 2020
As per Alberta Justice, “If training providers and proctors wish to continue to provide services, they can. At this time the Security Programs office is continuing operating although with greatly reduced staffing.”
“Training providers may provide copies of the exam report sheet to participants. Participants may use this as proof of training to apply at their local registry, if open, or send their application to our office for processing. Certificates may be delayed.”
For general information on why training online is a good solution and beginning your online security guard course, please click here.