This Use of Force and Handcuffing Certification online course was developed by a Subject Matter Expert and former Instructor Trainer for the Ontario Police College. Subjects include Criminal and Trespass arrest, detailed use of force authority explanations, judgement and decision making (crisis intervention) and incident articulation.
There is also a full explanation of the new Criminal Code sections on the use of force for protection of people and property.
Who should register
- Persons looking to get Handcuffing and Use of Force certification.
- Anyone working or seeking employment in law enforcement will benefit from this training.
- Individuals who would like to advance their skills and job opportunities.
- Organizations seeking to train multiple staff at a reduced cost.
Why take this course
- It was written by a Subject Matter Expert in this field and former Instructor trainer for the Ontario Police College.
- There is no requirement for an in class, hands on training module in order to become certified.
- As an added bonus you will get the Handcuffing and Search modules and downloadable pdfs to keep.
- Seek higher paying work and improve your chances of landing jobs by proactively taking this training.
- Ability to complete this course at your own pace.
- Instructor expertise and assistance available through email.
*Disclaimer: Alberta Guard Training is a marketer of this course only. Certification and training is managed by our licensed and insured partner.
- USE OF FORCE ONLINE COURSE INTRODUCTION
- Lecture1.1 – Introduction to Use of Force
- CRIMINAL CODE USE OF FORCE SECTIONS
- Lecture2.1-Criminal Code Use of Force Sections
- Lecture2.2-Mall Security Legal Issues
- Lecture2.3-Criminal Code Arrest By Security Guards
- INTRODUCTION TO USE OF FORCE ACADEMICS
- Lecture3.1-Introduction to Use of Force Related Academics
- USE OF FORCE AND INCIDENT ARTICULATION
- Lecture4.1-Use of Force and Incident Articulation
- INTRODUCTION TO PASSIVE HANDCUFFING
- Lecture5.1-Introduction To Passive Handcuffing
- ACTIVE / NON-COMPLIANT HANDCUFFING
- Lecture6.1-Active / Non-Compliant Handcuffing
- INTRODUCTION TO PASSIVE SEARCH
- Lecture7.1-Introduction To Passive Search
- USE OF FORCE FINAL EXAM
- Lecture8.1-Final Exam
- Lecture8.2-Recap Quiz
Use Of Force Online Course – FAQ
Subjective evaluations by certified instructors only carry so much weight. Old training methodologies dictated that a person had to demonstrate, competence and confidence in order to meet a set standard to pass. The resulting problem was that the student may meet this standard in class but then leave the classroom and never practice afterwards causing this skill set to deteriorate rapidly.
Unless the learner practices and/or refreshes the skill set with someone more qualified, they likely would continue to do it wrong and there is no way of knowing until there is a problem later. Once the learner leaves the classroom and the instructor who “certified them,” there is no way to know if they will continue to practice or even retain what they learned.
Instructors cannot be held liable for a learner not practicing a perishable skill set or how they apply that skill set once they leave the instructor’s presence. The onus then shifts to the person and their supervisors to prove how the skills were maintained after initial certification. (If you don’t use it….you will lose it.)
Basic disengagement skills are demonstrated step by step as a prelude to control techniques, but NO hard empty hand skills are taught in this course. Our company has not taught pressure point techniques or hard empty hand skills for 25 years. The reason being is that we believe that giving people pain is NOT a valid paradigm for controlling violent behaviour and it offers NO control whatsoever.
In some cases, using pain compliance techniques is completely ineffective and only serves to escalate the problem at hand. This aside, given the social media video that is likely to appear, your punching, kicking etc. will not help convince people of your position especially given that you are not the police.
Handcuffing and Search are two topics that are covered in depth. Step by step instruction is done using pictures, video of a live class being taught and support materials provided.
This can be tricky. You don’t want to do anyone harm and you don’t want to put yourself at risk physically or legally. Understanding the parameters of when to use force and what how much is outlined in our Use of Force course.